photo Header_zpsc98d369a.png

Saturday, September 1, 2012

My Pancakes

Image

I remember when leaving the house, eating out and other extracurricular activities were enjoyable. I remember when we would load up the van and Dad would say, "We're going out to eat." You would have thought we were on a bus to Six Flags. I remember, even as a teenager, going out to eat with friends and laughing over a big, no-consequences cheeseburger.

I don't know if the times are changing-- or if I just incorrectly remember every eating out experience being fairly blissful. Going out in public was something to look forward to; now Justin and I come home frustrated and wishing we would have just cooked and done the dishes.

We decided earlier this week that we would reward ourselves with IHOP omelets and New York Cheesecake pancakes on Saturday morning, a sort of kickback for surviving the week. So we woke up today in a good mood ready to claim our syrupy prize.

"Hey, what can I get you guys?"

"We would like the Bacon omelet, the Garden omelet, and 2 sides of New York Cheesecake pancakes. And can we also.."

She's gone.

30 minutes later.

Buttermilk pancakes with a runny strawberry on it.

Justin politely inquires, "Every time we get the cheesecake pancakes, they have cream cheese icing on them and strawberry sauce. Did we order the wrong thing?"

"You must be thinking of our other New York cheesecake pancakes. They have icing on them. These don't."

Not to get the blood boiling again, let's just say that my milk didn't come until my pancakes were complete and Justin's hash browns were nowhere to be found. And you better believe our omelets were sans salsa.

I wish I could say this kind of thing only happens at IHOP or McDonald's. But it's becoming an accepted epidemic. Restaurants that charge $10 or more a plate are now getting on the bad service train.

Let me clarify one thing: I do not and I mean do not condone being disrespectful or rude to people who serve you in restaurants and other places you may find yourself. And that's probably why going out in public is getting more challenging.  Because I feel like people are trying to test me in this philosophy. Like the guy at Sam's Club who kept cutting me off from every product I was looking at by ramming his cart in front of me. Like the waiter at Olive Garden that overcharged me by six dollars and said, "I'm sorry, I already ran your card. It's really hard to change." Like at Target when the lady forgot to take the items I bought off the baby registry and said, "Well, it's hard to go back. People with babies can always use more than one of something." Like the times you sit there and no one greets you or smiles at you. Like all the times they make you feel like you're the crazy one who only thought you ordered no ketchup.

I think it's been a while since Chick-fil-a has been brought up. Regardless of your social views, they have long been put on a pedestal for their amazing service and their cheery, "It's our pleasure to serve you," catchphrase. Here's the sad part: That should be the norm. Why are they hailed as kings for being polite and giving you what you paid $20 to receive?

Why is tipping now considered expected rather than something to show a token of gratitude for a fun experience?

I in no way expect perfection. I know things happen. But I do miss people who say they're sorry, people who ask if there's anything else they can do, people who go the extra mile to be friendly, people who don't make you feel like you're scum for asking for a refill.

I miss the days when going to the grocery store didn't cause homicidal thoughts. I miss the days when kids were the ones you were embarrassed of in restaurants.

But for the time being, this now hermit crab is going to reside at home.

And my New York Cheesecake pancakes have icing on them.

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."
-Anonymous

1 comment:

  1. You won't enjoy meals when your kids are little and in the whiny and screamy stage. Savor the freedom you have now!

    ReplyDelete