photo Header_zpsc98d369a.png

Friday, July 13, 2012

Small Talk

Image

The past few years have rendered me a jack of all trades. I say that like I can fix your sink and program your computer. Which I can't. 

What I mean is, within the past 3 years, I have worked at a magazine, medical clinic, elementary school and now bank. Talk about an identity crisis of sorts. 

Each experience has brought its own set of lessons, customers and small talk. The small talk is what I will be focusing on today. It intrigues me that each professional setting brings with it a set list of phrases. You don't even realize you're doing it. I don't even realize I'm doing it. 

We had this going thing at the elementary school. Parents would come in and ask to check their child out of class. One of the secretaries would utter, "We have this deal going on right now. Get one student, receive 10 more free. But we get to choose." 

Some parents laughed, some didn't get it, some looked like that is the worst possible thing you could do to them.

At the medical clinic, you'd say, "How are you doing today?" and right when you uttered it, you expected the usual: "Well, if I was doing really well, I wouldn't be here right now." Touche. Good point sir.

It's funny how natural this comes to us as human beings. It's like we were innately born with the ability to be corny. I've been in banking two weeks and I'm already catching on to the banter. You know the "You can add a few more zeros to that if you want," joking remarks. If I'm counting money, I can expect at least one cute old man to say, "You giving that away?"

Waitresses give the bill to an unlikely paying candidate with a "This is all on you, right?" Laughs happen, the tab is passed on and she gets an extra dollar for being the first person to crack that joke.

Some people hate on the South especially for majoring in small talk. Why does my stock broker want to know how I'm doing? 

I'd be lying if there were times I didn't wonder what it was for-- but then I realize that small talk is a big deal. Every time I repeat a standard response or hear a common joke, I try to remember that an ounce of unoriginal kindness beats a unique put-down any day. 

So go out into all the world ...

and be a complete cheeseball. 

“Being Southern isn't talking with an accent...or rocking on a porch while drinking sweet tea, or knowing how to tell a good story. It's how you're brought up -- with Southerners, family (blood kin or not) is sacred; you respect others and are polite nearly to a fault; you always know your place but are fierce about your beliefs. And food along with college football -- is darn near a religion.” 
― Jan Norris

No comments:

Post a Comment