photo Header_zpsc98d369a.png

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

One of Job's Friends

MEDION DIGITAL CAMERA

Whenever the preacher brought up the topic of suffering, any church-going kid knew what was coming up next: the story of Job.

I’d be lying if I said I didn’t always immediately think 1) Why is his name spelled like job? And 2) I bet Dad is going to lead “Trust and Obey” after this.

Maybe it’s because I had never touched the surface of pain. Maybe it’s because discomfort to me was sitting through a piano recital. Maybe it’s because the only time I felt lost was when I wandered off in the mall.

I wish I could say that I truly grasp the book now; but in reality, I’m still that kid doodling on the weekly bulletin.

And I have a feeling there are many others in my shoes; people whose disconnect is solely related to the life experience they’ve been handed.

Just because, like me, you can’t relate to Job doesn’t mean you can’t gather anything from the story. There are a few other characters we don’t really talk about a whole lot; characters that sadly mirror me more than Job most of the time.

The friends.

Eliphaz. Bildad. Zophar. Not a collection of rebellious boy band members, but three people who traveled from three different countries to keep Job company and comfort him.

The friends kind of get a bad rap in this story. And rightfully so.

Those of us who haven’t been at the center of tragedy ourselves are often left to fill these roles. We often feel compelled to rationalize another’s heartache and appoint ourselves God’s personal will translators.

These are real advice excerpts from the three amigos. See if they sound eerily familiar to what we hear today.

“It’s plain that your children have sinned against you—otherwise, why would God have punished them?”

“If you’re as innocent and upright as you say, it’s not too late—he’ll come running; he’ll set everything right again and reestablish your fortunes.”

“Do you think it’s because he cares about your purity that he’s disciplining you, putting you on the spot? Hardly! It’s because there’s no end to your sins.”

“Look at you! You trivialize religion and turn spiritual conversation into empty gossip.”

I don’t know about you. But I’m going to put a big ‘ol Ouch on that.

I feel like I’ve had to write too many responses to tragic events this year. I feel like I couldn’t possibly say anything that hasn’t already been said.

But today, my heart was brought to Job and his friends.

Because God has equipped us to give the right kind of advice and reflect his love. It's our duty to stop politicizing. To end the search to find something or someone to blame.

Only then will those in the midst of suffering ever find a lasting peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment