photo Header_zpsc98d369a.png

Thursday, August 23, 2012

School of Marriage

I've never really been the teaching type. I'm usually the one who stands there pathetically while I wait for an explanation. I'm like an IT department's worst nightmare.

Last night, however, I was making peanut butter cookies and began the traditional criss-crossing pattern on the top of the dough with a fork. I have no idea why we do that to only peanut butter cookies, but it's traditional so I follow baking protocol. I'd hate for my cookies to refuse to rise because they lack their tribal symbol that signifies they are of the Jif family.

Justin walks in and says, "I always wondered how they did that." He watched me for a few moments, and I oddly felt this sense of pride. I, the usual student, got to enlighten someone on how to delicately craft a tic-tac-toe pattern on a pile of yummy mush.

It got me thinking about all the interesting things you get to learn and teach when you first get married. It's never like mind-blowing stuff, but it is informative nonetheless.

Things I've Learned from Justin:

- How to talk to a car repair guy and explain the problem at hand in car terms.

- How to saw large pieces of wood without screaming as you do it.

- How to change out an electrical outlet.

- How to properly crack, eat and dispose of sunflower seeds.

- How to incorporate a set list of phrases into your vocabulary (i.e. 'No worries,' 'That's a fair assessment')

- How to build a Bridge and what a pipe culvert is.

- How to use an XBOX and a Playstation.

- How to chillax during a worship service and not be so stiff. I have worked my way up to a light thigh-slap during more upbeat songs.

- How to get home...like to our house.

- That you can put tea out on the porch and call it sun tea.

- That I am actually kind of passionate about certain issues now that I'm paying attention to them.

- How to buy Great Value food and save money. I'm a brand snob. So sue me.

Things Justin Has Learned from Me (I think):

- The wonderful feeling of crawling into a made bed.

- The great value of 5 candles, 3 candle warmers, and Lysol spray.

- The beauty of lots and lots of dessert. Before me, the boy wasn't "really into sweets." That's no life to lead.

- Fifteen decorative throw pillows also double as back support and feet propper-uppers.

- The importance of expressing your feelings. Come on. You look sad. Spill it.

- How to shop for clothes and shoes.

- How to sleep in late and finding excuses to do so.

- The best way to scare me to death.

- How to wax my eyebrows and upper lip (got to save money somewhere, folks!)

-How to be daring at Sonic and add some flavas to your life...and drink!

- That high thread count sheets DO make a difference and arch support in your tennis shoes is important for your basketball playing ability.

- A little insight into how women think. "Brad invited us over tonight." "Oh he did? Does his wife know about this? Is she prepared for us to enter her home?" "I don't know. I didn't really think about that." Now ya do, sweetie pie.

All of this has happened in a mere 5 months. I'm sure by our golden anniversary we will be Einsteins of Love. But that's how the whole crazy thing is supposed to work. We're different, we're opposites, our brains are wired nothing alike. But that's how knowledge happens. And boy, are the lessons fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment