photo Header_zpsc98d369a.png

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Don't Sweat the Stupid Stuff

I remember vividly the day I received a package in the mail from my grandma during my "tween" years. It wasn't my birthday. It wasn't Christmas. So I was perplexed. When I opened it, I saw a book called, "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff for Teens." I knew at that very moment that my own mother must have told her that I was suffering from a typical case of overreaction. I pretty much majored in it. And minored in it in college. 

As Richard Carlson says, “Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of mental illness.” Can I get an Amen? And don't lie. You all know you're locked up with me in the crazy house.

I was reminded of this book today when I got my usual newsletter from some Greek letter-ridden academic club I joined in college. I remember thinking, "Oh my gosh. I have to come up with this money. I have to ask for help. I have to be in this elite club. Or I'll never get a job." So I did. And I stood in a line, holding a melting candle. With each skin-searing drop of wax, I knew that all this would be worth it someday.

Do you want to know how many times during my job-searching nightmare anyone even mentioned Alpha Chi? Zero. Zero. Does this mean that those clubs are in no way useful? Ehhh...no. I'm sure some guy out there got hired to head up Google because they shared a Chi-nection (don't act like that pun isn't top notch). But most didn't even know what my degree was in, nor did they care that I had 100% cotton paper.

But what I do mean is this: Don't sweat the stupid stuff. 

Here are a few of those things:

  • People aren't paying attention to you. So stop dying inside every time you overflow your drink at the soda fountain.
  • I have never applied for a job and had a supervisor say, "You know, should have brought that B in Trigonometry up."
  • If you want to be in a billion activities in college, go for it. But please don't think it will make you the golden child.
  • I'm just going to leave it at this: Everyone goes to the bathroom. So you can stop pausing in between other flushes in the public restroom.
  • Being big-boned is kind of a myth (kind of). Even if your fingers make it all the way around your wrist, be big-boned and don't starve yourself.
  • Don't try to meet with potential managers face-to-face. Not worth it. They invented online applications for a reason: they don't want to see you. 
  • Spend church as a time of celebration. Don't meditate on everything you do wrong; focus on Jesus making you righteous.
  • Friends will come and go. Don't mourn. Realize what stage they were in and why they were there.
  • It's OK to wish you liked classic literature, but continue not to like it. Go read Twilight or something. 
  • Saying "I love you" isn't rocket science. Don't take forever to say it and overcomplicate things. You can say it again later if you have to. 
  • If you don't want to order fine china, brides, just don't do it. It's just something else for you to break.
  • Don't shave your legs until you have to wear a dress or shorts. And mostly wear pants. Such a stress reliever.
  • If someone was rude to you when you were a teenager, get over it. Do you want people to hold you to your 14-year-old self?
  • All of your outfits will seem like a dumb idea in 20 years. So don't have a dressing room tantrum.
  • Write. In any way you can. 
  • Turn off radio commercials. They are so obnoxious. Years were just added to your life.
  • We naturally crave drama for some reason. Fire the dramatic people from your life. They can still be there, but make sure they are just part-time or out on long-term disability.
  • Laugh with your real laugh. Even if it's wicked witch meets Woody the Woodpecker. 

Stress is inevitable at times, but at other times, we can escape from the asylum. But we just sit there in our straight jacket anyway. 

So here's to not sweating the small stuff, the stupid stuff, the stuff that won't matter a few years down the road. 

So grab a towel and sit by the fan with me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment