photo Header_zpsc98d369a.png

Saturday, August 18, 2012

Coming Back

Image

Some of you may have read my Facebook status from Friday, but I found a 2007 Starbucks card tucked away, probably passed from wallet to wallet for the past several years. I remembered back to when someone gave it to me pre-Greece trip my junior year of college. It got some good use at various airports and Starbucks across Europe. It had one last gift to give and paid for my white chocolate mocha and pumpkin bread on Friday morning. It was a sweet reminder of that wonderful period of my life and the pumpkin bread (though packaged and slightly cold) somehow took on the taste of a past adventure.

As with any reminiscent moment, it made me compare my former spirit to the one today. You could say a few things have changed along the way.

Europe 2008: I could barely sleep because I shared a sleeper train with potential serial killers and kleptomaniacs.

America 2012: I can sleep anytime, anywhere and under any circumstances. A guy could approach me and tell me he's a serial killer and I still couldn't make it through the last 20 minutes of a Redbox movie.

Europe 2008: I slept with my cash on me, under my shirt, in a sealed pouch.

America 2012: I have no cash to steal. Bring it on, muggers.

Europe 2008: I ate foods I had never heard of in cities I had never heard of.

America 2012: I ate jambalaya at a catered event and thought I was having a heart attack instead of heartburn.

Europe 2008: I trusted everyone and was perfectly content to tell a stranger on the bus where I was headed next.

America 2012: I have watched "Taken" several times and now I don't trust anyone. I am a conspiracy theorist who thinks everyone is out to get me.

Europe 2008: Using the bathroom in a hole and paying money to do so was a unique cultural experience.

America 2012: I will wait 30 minutes, look under the stall and stalk you until you exit the cleanest stall in the bathroom at Chili's. I only wait for the best.

Europe 2008: Being from Arkansas made me an American hottie.

America 2012: You can guess the present day. Most people are just surprised I have shoes on and most of my teeth.

Europe 2008: I thought smoking looked glamorous (I didn't do it, Mom) and a commemorative tattoo was necessary.

America 2012: I'm glad I don't have to add "put concealer on my wrist tattoo before work" to my morning routine and if you blow smoke in my direction, I will cough my lungs up and give you the stink eye.

I read this quote and I think it sums up my feelings perfectly. “Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colors. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving.”
Terry Pratchett, A Hat Full of Sky

My life pace may have dwindled a little bit through the years and my adventurous spirit may have transformed the avenues in which it shows itself (Midnight showing of a movie, anyone? Craaazy lady.)

But you only leave so that you will be changed when you come back. And that, my friends, hasn't changed a bit.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment