photo Header_zpsc98d369a.png

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Happy Birthday to Me

On Sunday, I turned the wonderful 2-6. I had a little bit of a complex about it to be honest, but most people think I'm pushing 19 anyway so I think I can handle another decade. Bring it on.

Man, a lot can happen in just one year. I had some physical reactions to stress several months ago and I remember the doctor asking, "Have you had many changes in the past year?" I responded with not really, but began to rattle off, "I moved to a new town, packed a two-bedroom house into a tiny apartment, started a new job, got engaged, was a pet parent to a devil kitten for a week..."

Picking up his chart, he said, "I'm going to go with a yes on that one."

It's definitely been a milestone year for me. I got married, bought a house, began anew at two different jobs, hosted my first church small group. I'm actually starting to resemble a grown-up, which is kind of bizarre. I don't know how I feel about that.

I've learned lots of things. Like:

* Your career or lack thereof doesn't define you as a person. Don't apologize for your life. Truth be told, most people aren't where they said they would be 10 years ago.

* Love your wedding. Lose the details.

* Don't attempt to make "Pancake in a pan" unless your husband has a sense of humor and a love for food that resembles an alien planet.

*Find a few guilty pleasures that your husband can't stand. It adds a risk factor to your life. I'm feeling pretty devious when I'm driving down the road listening to country music.

* You will begin to say those "parent phrases" that you swore you would never say. They just fly out. I know, Mom-- "Well, whose fault is that?"

* Stand up for yourself. You show people how you deserve to be treated by what you allow.

* If it's painful, don't wear it. Life is already painful enough. Wear flats-- even the cute Croc ones.

* I should probably stop saying that I am going to pick up that running thing.

* It seems like you need your parents more now than when you were under their roof.

*Metabolism. What's that?

*I now complain about what "girls these days" are wearing and doing.

*It's OK to be hanging out in the jewelry and purse section when you're supposed to be raving about food processors and silverware sets.

* Sometimes you have to let go of stupid shows you've been faithful to forever. Goodbye, Law and Order: SVU. Go work on some more plots and maybe you'll get me back.

* From here on out, you will have to continually teach people and new co-workers who you are. Lucky for you, they haven't heard your Top 10 stories.

* Your friends are going to have babies. Lots of them. Good practice.

* You find yourself seriously contemplating eye creams.

* I now know the proper definitions of "busy" and "tired."

*Sleeping in is now 9:00. Whoo hoo. Take that, wake-up-and-eat-lunch college me.

There's a million more where that came from.

This year has definitely had its highs and lows, but I would have to say it wins the "Ashton growth" award. So, happy birthday to me.

And many more.

 

1 comment:

  1. Hope your birthday was fun!!! I can totally relate to all of these.

    ReplyDelete