photo Header_zpsc98d369a.png

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Do you 'Like' Me?

Image

I apologize for my short absence from writing. Because this blog has laughter in the title, I try to stray away from woe-is-me entries as much as humanly possible. And, let's face it, we all have those times in our lives. Times when we're the lion and times when we're the the oblivious antelope who's about to get its leg gnawed off. I would say this past week I was definitely the antelope. So I hung out (on my good leg) eating some grass until I started to feel my lion prowess begin to return.

I am sad to admit this. But what aided my return?

Facebook likes. And comments. And blog comments saying, "I've missed your blog."

Online media has created such a fickle community, me included. It's like one minute you're lying in bed thinking everyone hates your guts. And then two people like the picture of last night's dinner plate and you're golden. You begin to open your windows and sing a new tune because someone affirmed your choice of cuisine.

Why is the first part of my morning routine pulling up Facebook on my phone to see how many notifications I have acquired whilst I slumbered? Someone needs to invent an alarm clock app that already has Facebook included. I guarantee more people would wake up. "Time to get up! Time to get up! 10 people also agreed that Fantasia shouldn't have performed in a tight jumpsuit last night."

If no number shows up above that little world symbol, I feel like I should just stay in my pajamas, eat Cocoa Krispies and try harder. Be funny. Fall down. Do something-- but get that notification!

And when you thought that someone liking your status couldn't get any better, they invented the ability for someone to like what you said on someone else's status. So now you try to be the funniest friend. "How could they like what he said and not mine? Mine was totally hilarious. And he can't spell to save his life."

It got me thinking. What if we interacted this way in real life?

I'm in the grocery store deciding what brand of toilet paper to buy when suddenly 14 people gather around me with their thumbs up. Is this going to make me buy Quilted Northern?

My boyfriend dumps me and 6 people arrive saying, "I like this." "I like this." "I like this." "I like this." "I like this." "I like this."

Two girls gather by the bathroom mirror to make duck faces just for the heck of it. See below:

Image

You're walking down the street and someone says, "Hey, I came upon some really cool tennis shoes the other day. Do you want me to share it 500 times with you?"

Image

"Yeah, man. As long as you'll loan me some stuff in FarmVille."

Girls introduce their boyfriends as their boyfrannnns.

Guys walk up to each other and share headphones, "Listen to what I'm listening to."

Newly pregnant mothers take their pregnancy test stick to church and show everyone.

Ok, I digress. I am simply pointing out that we often look in the wrong places for affirmation and encouragement. I know I do. And sometimes we are quick to "like" someone's status but slow to tell them in person how much we appreciate them.

So go "like" someone.

1 Thessalonians 5:14 ESV


And we urge you, brothers, admonish the idle, encourage the fainthearted, help the weak, be patient with them all.

2 comments:

  1. I always think it is weird whenever someone has a status like, "Please pray for my family, Grandpa Joe passed away unexpectedly this morning. I'm so sad." And then fifteen people "like" it. I realize by doing that they are simply agreeing to pray, but still. It's just looks like they are "liking" that person's sadness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly. I feel the same way. Or yes, you may like that I am now out of a terrible relationship, but is publicly "liking" it really the way to tell me you are glad I dodged a bullet? Bring me icecream!

    ReplyDelete